For around 2 years now I have given up eating any processed foods for breakfast – like cereal, flavored yogurts, PBJ (especially the J), juices, etc. Anything that might have added sugars was out. So I had to come up with innovative ideas for breakfast. This one struck when I was reading this recipe for a breakfast banana sundae on The Kitchn and I experimented and have perfected this one for me. You can customize this yourself and have a fruit and protein packed start.
- Ripe banana – 1
- Plain greek yogurt – 125 gm, about 1 cup
- Topping fruit – strawberries, bluberries, grapes – handful
- Toasted nuts – Sliced/chopped almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts – to garnish
- Dark chocolate – a hunk, chips or in any form
- Knife and cutting board
- Bowl and spoon to serve
- Cut the banana into coins and arrange in a single layer in the serving bowl
- Just run a spoon through the yogurt to make it smooth and top the bananas with it
- Shave some chocolate onto the yogurt
- Chop the topping fruit if necessary and pile it onto the yogurt
- Sprinkle the nuts and you are done.
- You can split the banana though the center instead of making coins and it can be a fancy breakfast
- I love dark chocolate on this but feel free to experiment
- Any fruit like apples, pears, peaches can go on this as topping
- The toppings can vary widely – I have used shredded coconut, sunflower seeds, museli
- 125 gm of Greek Yogurt could contain about 10 gm of protein depending on the brand. This breakfast kind of packs a punch!