Often there are times when we just want to eat a salad for a meal and don’t want to pick from the same routine of salads that we have been making over the past few weeks – this salad came as an answer to one of such moments. R remembered a salad from Chopt in New York City that he used to love and decided to experiment.
Cajun Chicken Salad with Sriracha Dressing
- Chicken breasts, diced into bite size pieces – 400g
- Cajun spice blend – 25 g
- Red and green capsicum, finely chopped – 1/2 of each
- Spring onions, sliced – 2-3
- Red onion, finely chopped – 1/4 cup
- Corn, fresh or frozen – 1/3 cup
- Salad leaves – 2 cups
- Greek yogurt – 1/2 cup
- White vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Sriracha sauce – 1/2 tbsp or to taste
- Oil, to stir fry chicken
- Salt, pepper – to taste
- Heavy pan, spatula – to stir fry chicken
- Salad bowl
- Heat the pan for chicken on a medium high flame such that when you sprinkle some water on it, it should evaporate in 2 seconds. Pour oil to coat the pan evenly.
- Coat the diced chicken with salt, pepper and cajun spices and add it to the pan in a single layer. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes and turn the pieces over to cook the other side. Cook until all the water from the chicken evaporates and it starts to brown – cook until the color is brown enough for your liking and turn the heat off.
- In the salad bowl add the yogurt, sriracha, vinegar and salt and mix.
- Pile all the ingredients in the bowl and toss.
- Use any kind of leaves you like. Also experiment with the rest of the ingredients to find a mix that you like.
- Croutons is an extremely yum addition to the salad.
- You can use mayonnaise instead of greek yogurt.
- Grilled chicken will go very well with this salad.