In the hot summer months I used to crave something fresh and sweet for lunch and when I came across the strawberry and spinach salad with feta, I made a version of it at home. I used to bring it with me to lunch every single day one summer. This salad is an improvement over that version. It is a quick fix for days when I have to pack lunch for myself or when we don’t have time for something elaborate. Its refreshing, colorful and quite healthy. Give it a go.
- Strawberries, sliced – 8-10 big
- Kiwi, quartered and sliced – 1
- Grapes, halved – 1 cup
- Cantaloupe/musk melon, sliced and diced – 1 cup
- Apple, sliced and diced – 1
- Cucumber, diced – 1 cup
- Walnuts, toasted – handful
- Mixed salad leaves – 3 to 4 handfuls
- Feta cheese, crumbled or diced – 1/4th cup
- Red wine vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Salad bowl and forks to assemble and toss the salad
- Cutting board and knife to chop
- Add all the fruits, cucumber, walnuts and cheese to the salad bowl and top with the leaves.
- In a separate bowl add the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and whisk using a fork.
- Add the dressing to the salad bowl and toss well right before serving.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of fruits. Pears, pineapples, nectaries, peaches will work very well.
- Roasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds are good options to try with or instead of walnuts.
- Also, try balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.